Prof. Dr. Donald R. Mackay
Dr. Mackay is a diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He currently serves as the Chair of the Board. He is Chief of Plastic Surgery and Vice Chair of the Department of Surgery at Penn State's Milton S Hershey Medical Center. He has a joint appointment as a Professor in the Department of Pediatrics at Penn States Children's Hospital. He has over 70 peer-reviewed publications and book chapters. He has research interests in cleft lip and palate, surgical outcomes, wound healing and surgical education.
Dr. Mackay's clinical practice is focused on Pediatric Plastic Surgery and Craniomaxillofacial Surgery. Dr. Mackay and his family have been residents of Hershey, Pennsylvania since emigrating from South Africa 26 years ago.
Education and Training
- Dental School and Medical School: University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
General Surgery and Plastic Surgery Training: Johannesburg Teaching Hospitals, South Africa.
- Plastic Surgery Residency: Penn State College of Medicine and Milton S Hershey Medical Center
Current Academic Appointments
- William P Graham III Professor of Plastic Surgery, PennState Hershey College of Medicine.
- Professor of Surgery and Pediatrics, PennState Hershey College of Medicine.
- Attending Surgeon, Lancaster Cleft Palate Clinic, Lancaster Pennsylvania.
- Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery, PennState Milton Hershey Medical Center
Vice Chair, Department of Surgery, PennState Milton Hershey Medical Center
- Chair, American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS 2016-2017) Director (2010-2017)
- Chair, Plastic Surgery Residency Review Committee (2014-2016) Member (2010-2016)
President Elect, American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons (ASMS)
Vice President, American Council of Academic Plastic Surgeons (ACAPS)
Past President, American Association of Pediatric Plastic Surgeons (2013)
Past Chair, Section of Plastic Surgery, American Academy of Plastic Surgeons (2013)
Past President, Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons (2010)
Past President, Robert H Ivy Society (2006)
Multiple Past and Present Committees and Chairs, ASPS, ASMS, AAPS, ACAPS
Reviewer, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Journal of Craniofacial Surgery
Chief Medical Officer, Operation Smile International.
Board Director, Lancaster Cleft Palate Clinic.
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery (1997 - Recertified, 2007,2016)